History of Logan Village Region

LoganVillageHistoryLogan Village was named after one of Australia’s most prominent early explorers, Cpt. Patrick Logan.

In August 1826, he explored the river that today bares his name and shapes around the Logan Village region.

At the time the Jagera people occupied the region and Logan originally named the river the Darling River, noting that it was, “Navigable by the largest class of colonial vessels for 80 miles and running through the finest tract of lands I have ever seen in this, or any other country.”

Many historians regard Cpt. Logan as the true founder of Queensland. He was a prominent explorer and the first to make any practical development in the state.

Logan died under mysterious circumstances in what was his last expedition in 1830.

The Village

Logan Village was a key site in the overall development of the region and the river traffic which originally serviced it.

Its initial role was as head of navigation for the river. A major wharf and a store were constructed in 1862. The store was located in the vicinity of Anzac Avenue.

The township was surveyed in July 1865 and the town wharf was upgraded in 1873.

William Drynan, a former cedar cutter from the Richmond River district, selected land here in 1862 and ran the Logan Village Hotel from 1864.

He took out an annual Publican’s Licence in August 1866, but did not renew it again until March 1871.

The Brisbane Courier reported on the anticipation of the Logan Races to be held on New Years Day 1865, between Quinzeh and Ooah Creeks, with refreshments provided by Mr Drynan. In 1867 kangaroo hunts were promoted as an activity organised through Drynan’s Hotel.

Early Industry

Early merchants were involved in the cotton industry and timber getting. They used the river to transport goods. The origins of the first sawmill are unclear with conflicting reports on ownership. It had a chimney constructed of local freestone, mined near Quinzeh Creek and apparently burnt down in 1872, (having supplied the timber for the new Logan Primary School at Waterford the previous year).

The school opened in 1873 in a structure built of bark, with timber floor and glass windows. It was situated at Stockleigh. Logan Village residents lobbied for a school in the township, which commenced operation in August 1875.

A new school was requested in 1882, but not built until 1894. The school became a State School in 1900.

In 1871 a regular coach service from Brisbane to Nerang commenced with Cobb and Co horse drawn coaches making three trips a week, travelling through Waterford on their way to Nerang.

 

The Street names in and around My Home and the River and Logan Village bear tribute to the regions rich colonial history. Listed below are some of the street names and their origins.

Paget Parkway – The Hon WR Paget, MLA Minister for Railways turned the First Sod for the Logan Village – Canungra Rail Link.  22nd August 1913.

Wesleyn Way – Wesleyn Church was used as the first school in Logan Village and situated in River Street.  Shown as 417 – Title Deed in the names of the President – Secretary and Treasurer of the Queensland Congregational Church.

Towns Ave – Capt Robert Towns built a store and wharf near where the Geoff Philp Bridge meets the Logan Village side of the river.  Kanakas were held here awaiting transport to “Townsvale” Cotton Plantation at Veresdale , now “Woolahara”. Capt R Towns wrote a letter to the Bridge Authority, Brisbane in 1863, offering to construct a Bridge across the Brisbane River in accordance with the Government Act 17.

Burke Street – Capt John Burke arrived on the “Erin-Go-Bragh” in the year 1862 and worked for Honeyman and Orr.  He purchased the ‘Louisa’ from Honeyman and began what was to become John Burke Shipping.  His main trade was on the Logan and Albert Rivers and Moreton Bay. He also traded to the Cape York Peninsula and in the Gulf of Carpentaria.  While captain of the “SS Fanny” he was responsible for the rescue of 54 people during the flood of January 22, 1887 from the Albert River.  He was presented with an award for bravery by those he rescued.

Island Court – In memory of the Kanakas who were brought by boat up the Logan River to the Logan Village and on to Veresdale to work on the Cotton Plantation Most never to return home.ons during the flood of January 22, 1887 from the Albert River.  He was presented with an award for bravery by those he rescued.

Potts Lane – named after John Potts, Head Teacher Logan Village State School, 1886.

Ardee Place– named after Queensland pioneer Michael Yore’s horse stud and dairy Property.

Lucinda Road – named in honor of the ‘Lucinda,’ a 53 metre paddle yacht launched in 1884 and owned by the Queensland Government.

Leoni Court – named in honour of the ‘Leoni,’ a 64 foot steam ship that was built in Brisbane in 1865 and carried cargo and passengers up and down the Logan River.

LoganVillageIndustry